Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Intros: The Wife, The Dreamer, The Kids

I'm Karen. I'm a little too emotional, a little too sarcastic, and a little too quiet. I get stressed out and overwhelmed probably too easily. But damn-it, I'm one of the most loyal and supportive people you will ever meet, and if I give you my love you will have it forever.

I married a trail-blazing, adventure-seeking dreamer when we were just babies. Seriously, we were twenty and twenty-three. Babies. Let's call him Ben (because that's his name). Sometimes this guy has me in awe with all of his brilliance and bravery. I would literally kiss the hem of his hypothetical robes and follow him to the ends of the earth. Other times the constant stream of ideas and his inability to be content are... annoying. Still other times, he's an asshole and I want to punch him in the face.

Marriage, right?

We have two little boys, a four-year-old and a two-year-old. Let's call them Thing 1 and Thing 2 (because they are wild and crazy and because pedophiles don't get to know their names). I stay home and clean up their messes. No, I cook their food and open their fruit-snack wrappers. Um, maybe I keep them from accidentally killing each other? I drive them places. I'm the chauffeur. Okay but really I just wipe their bums and wash their clothes all day. I'm the one that yells, "STOP TOUCHING YOUR BROTHER!!!" 500,000,000 times a minute.

I am blessed with the ever-rewarding task of raising up two precious tiny humans into kind, thoughtful, functioning adults. Is that a better description of what I do?

Two months ago, my husband —with my full consent— cannon-balled us right into the middle of a crazy adventure.

He quit his 6 figure salary job. We sold our beautiful brand new house on a half-acre lot and moved into a rental.

Why? Why would we do that?

He/we/mostly he is starting a company. I am here to tell that story, from my perspective. Let me just preface it all by saying, entrepreneurship is not for the faint of heart. It's not for the doubtful, the insecure, or the comfortable. It will test you and break you, and then test you again. It's hard and it's ugly, and it's a long, long road. But at the end of this dark, hard, scary road is a beacon of hope and excitement that forces you to keep going. Maybe, just maybe we'll make it and real dreams will start coming to life. That sounds like it's worth it to me.

I will try to post weekly updates to this blog and document this insane journey. It will be irreverent (we curse), sarcastic, honest, and hopefully inspiring.

Up next: The Big Idea

No comments:

Post a Comment